Frequently Asked Questions

What gas appliances require certification?
If the appliance was first supplied (by the importer or New Zealand manufacturer) after November 2002 there is a legal requirement that the seller (and installer) determine whether there is a Supplier Declaration of Compliance before they sell (or install) the appliance.

What if a gas appliance doesn’t have a Supplier Declaration of Compliance?
If an appliance doesn’t have a Supplier Declaration of Compliance an Approved Practitioner can provide an independent endorsement that the appliance is compliant. This applies for small production appliances where there are less than 21 of the appliances supplied per year, or where they are appliances in an imported gas installation.

Do second-hand gas appliances require certification?
A second-hand gas appliance cannot be sold, offered for sale, used or allowed to be used unless it is safe. The seller (or user) must take all practicable steps to ensure that the appliance is safe under all reasonably foreseeable circumstances.

Does all gasfitting work require certification?
All gasfitting work must be certified by a certifying gasfitter or other person authorised under the Plumbers Gasfitters and Drainlayers Act 2006. This includes those authorised under an employer licence or an exemption. Gasfitting is certified by means of a Certificate of Compliance and a Gas Safety Certificate.

What is a Certificate of Compliance?
The Certificate of Compliance states that the work identified on the certificate has been completed safely and complies with the Gas (Safety and Measurement) Regulations 2010 and identifies who is responsible for that work.

What is a Gas Safety Certificate?
A Gas Safety Certificate verifies the completed and connected installation or part installation identified on the certificate is safe to use, and has not affected the safety of any other part of the installation.

What are the requirements for an Employer Licence?
The regulatory requirements for a gasfitting Employer Licence are set out in the Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Act and the Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Regulations 2010. Certain aspects of work are also provided for in the Gas Act 1992 and the Gas (Safety & Measurement) Regulations 2010.

What is a System of Operation for an Employer Licence?
A System of Operation provides details of the licence holder and its scope of gasfitting work, together with details of work and safety procedures, and how these procedures are implemented and supervised.

How do you apply for an Employer Licence?
Once a System of Operation is implemented, it is audited by an independent 3rd party known as an ‘Approved Person’. When they are satisfied that the system meets the necessary requirements, the Approved Person will issue a certificate of verification to the company. Application can then be made to the Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Board who are the regulatory agency responsible for the issue and control of Employer Licences.